Our Church HistorySharing God since 1867
In 1867, the Annual Conference of the Evangelical Association authorized the formation of a "Mission Project" to plant an Evangelical congregation in the town of Milton. The first pastor to be appointed was Rev. Samuel Davis, who was serving a similar church plant in Northumberland at the same time. It is probable that the first services of the Milton congregation were held in the home of Jacob and Sabilla Fryer. Mr Fryer and his family moved to Milton in 1866 as part of his work for the Philadelphia and Reading Railroad. The Fryers arrived with a letter of transfer from the Evangelical Church in Port Clinton, PA, and found no Evangelical Congregation to join in Milton.
Within a year, or so, the young congregation of about 40 members purchased a vacated Lutheran church after the Lutheran congregation relocated to the corner of Garfield and Mahoning Streets. By 1875, the former Lutheran building was sold and the congregation built a new building on part of the present property on Lower Market St. Through the years the congregation grew steadily; some years, dramatically. However, the Milton fire of 1880, and a number of floods meant building new buildings several times in the late 19th century. By the mid-1920's the congregation, then known as First Evangelical Church of Milton, was again outgrowing its facility. So, in 1928, the present sanctuary and Sunday School hall were built with the stained glass windows, Moller organ, columned front entrance, and "Last Supper" Mural all included. Floods in 1936, 1946, 1950, 1964 and 1972 have involved large and smaller scale clean-ups, but the congregation continues ministry from its 1928 facility. Further additions to the building in 1992 included the Fellowship Hall, gymnasium, an office suite, additional classrooms and storage space.
The merger of the Evangelical Association and the United Brethren denomination in 1946 meant a name change to First Evangelical United Brethren of Milton. The merger of the E.U.B and Methodist denominations in 1968 made us one of several United Methodist churches in Milton. So in 1979, the congregation voted to change its name to St. Andrew's United Methodist. (In scripture, Andrew is the disciple of the Lord who seems to have a ministry of introducing people to Jesus.)
St. Andrew's today stands as a tribute to the vision, the faith, commitment, giving and hard work of many people for nearly 150 years. We live in line with those who have responded to God's call to reach out with vision and love. This has been a small-town church with a world-wide reach for generations. Our task is to carry that vision forward for as long as we are able in our generation and then, to pass it on to the generation to come.
But in the end, the glory belongs to our God and to our Lord Jesus. It is God's Church. We just praise God for the privilege of being a part of His great work through St. Andrew's for our short time here on earth.